Philadelphia Slip and Fall Lawyers
Slip and Fall Injuries
For many people, taking a spill on a slippery surface or falling down on the floor can be nothing more than an embarrassing situation, but for some, these types of accidents can lead to serious injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), almost half of all traumatic brain injuries in children under the age of 14 result from common slip and fall accidents. Elderly people are also at high risk for serious injuries such as broken hips, head trauma, and arm and leg fractures, but in reality, no one is immune from serious injury when they slip or fall.
The Most Common Types of Injuries Resulting From Slips and Falls
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): A traumatic brain injury is a serious and sometimes disabling injury suffered when an individual hits their head on a hard surface when they fall. Concussions are one form of TBI that are most often temporary. These injuries commonly heal after a period of rest. Serious TBIs result in more disabling injuries such as cognitive impairment, seizure disorders, learning disabilities and personality or mood changes. While these complications can clear up in some cases, they are most often lifelong conditions.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: When a person slips or falls, they often arch their back in an attempt to regain their balance, or they can land on the floor in a position that causes injury to the spinal cord or the general back area. These injuries can be devastating, resulting in temporary or permanent disability such as paralysis, ongoing back pain, herniated discs and limited mobility.
- Shoulder Injuries: When someone falls, they can land in a way that causes the shoulder to dislocate. There are a web of nerves extending from the shoulder area to the arm and the hand. Injuries to this area can result in nerve damage and ongoing pain that can limit the use of these appendages. The pain from this type of injury can also be intense and limit movement.
- Hip Injuries and Fractures: One of the most debilitating and serious injuries in the elderly are hip fractures. The CDC reports that almost all hip fractures result from falls, with one out of every five victims dying from the injury within 12 months. For those that survive, they typically undergo surgery and long periods of rehabilitation as in-patients in assisted living facilities.
- Sprains and Other Fractures: The act of falling and landing on a firm surface can cause several types of sprains and fractures. Sprains result most often from knees, ankles and wrists twisting in the accident. Broken bones are commonly seen in the hand, wrist, arms, legs and ankles resulting from the impact of the body coming into contact with the floor. Though these injuries are usually less severe than others, there is still a risk of permanent damage and weakness to the injured areas.
When to See a Doctor or Slip and Fall Lawyer
Anytime you fall, it is wise to document your incident with the property owner, who may be held liable for any injuries you sustain. If you have pain following your slip or fall accident, or if you are knocked unconscious or have an obvious fracture or other injury, it is best to go directly to the emergency room or to your doctor’s office. Getting immediate medical attention should be your first priority. After you are stable, it is imperative that you contact an experienced and reputable slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can review the details of your accident, determine if the property owner is responsible for your injuries and obtain vital evidence to support your case.
Premises liability laws can be tricky regarding slip and fall accidents, so seeking the counsel of a knowledgeable slip and fall lawyer can ensure that your rights are protected. The property owner could be responsible for covering your medical bills, surgery or therapy costs, and prescription medications. You may also be entitled to receive compensation for lost wages and damages. Your premises liability lawyer can make sure you receive any compensation you may be entitled to under the law.
Philadelphia Premises Liability Lawyers at Nerenberg & Gagliano, P.C. Help Victims of Slip and Fall Accidents Claim all Entitled Compensation
If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact the experienced and knowledgeable Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers at Nerenberg & Gagliano, P.C. at 215-569-9100 or complete our online contact form to schedule a consultation today. Our offices are conveniently located in Philadelphia allowing us to serve clients throughout the Philadelphia area, including Montgomery County, Bucks County, Delaware County, and Chester County as well as Central Pennsylvania and New Jersey.